Friday, January 25, 2008

Boner of the Day - Flash Gordon (1980) - 5 out of 5 Stars


I got a package from my movie “dealer” today with, wait for it, Flash Gordon on DVD for me. That’s right, old school; Sam Jones, Topol, Max von Sydow, Timothy Dalton, Brian Blessed, music all by Queen. AGH! I’m getting a chub right now just thinking about it.

It was so cheesy and glorious. No need for backstory, it just starts off with the “gods” deciding to destroy earth, and then it’s all awesome from there. Pure evil characters, love under duress, good versus evil, floating rotating discs with spikes, Hawkmen, RocketCycles, gah – this movie has it all. War Rocket Ajax! This movie is the tits!

Max von Sydow is unbelievable as Ming the Merciless; iconic villain. No remorse, no regret. He rules with an iron fist, literally if I remember correctly.

This movie is a super psychedelic Star Wars, with no need for CGI. Just goofy characters who take themselves seriously and make this one of the best guilty pleasure movies EVER!

And it was out of print on DVD for a while, so I am a very happy panda now that I have it on disc.

No comments: