Friday, January 25, 2008

Gray's Anatomy (1997) - 4 out of 5 Stars

This movie was very appealing to me, both as an artist, and as someone afflicted with an “eye error.” As I watched this, I looked past the stylized filming and began to see what Spalding was saying (Honestly, he was so entertaining to listen to, there could have been minimal set, lighting, etc. and it would have been just fine, or better). I loved watching him go off on a tangent, a clover leaf, from the primary story, and then to work his way back to what he was talking about original (which I often have problems with myself).

Another great part for me, as an improviser/actor, was watching him get caught up in his own emotions and stumble over his lines. Doing a one man show, especially live, you only have one take to get everything right, or at least as close as you can to right. I really felt the energy of a live performance coming through in this film. Spalding really connects with the audience, through shared experiences, and great storytelling abilities.

The only bad thing I can say about this film is that it made me want to try all these alternative cures, so that I could write a show based on my experiences with my disorder. But in order to get the money to try these cures, to write the show, I would have had to write the show, became famous, and earned lots of money to try those cures. Catch-22.

No comments: